Friday, August 2, 2013

Preparing for My First Bushwhack - Wolf Cub - 8.3.13

It has been a few weeks since my last hike - been very busy lately!  Paloma is away in Sao Paolo, Brazil for two weeks for work, so I decided to sign up for my first ever trip through the AMC - Boston Chapter - a 12+ mile bushwhack of Wolf Cub, a 3000' mountain located close to Lincoln, NH.  A bushwhack means that there are no formal trails leading to the summit, so we will be using a map, compass, and brute force to move through thick woods/brush to our destination.  I couldn't be more excited!  We might even try to tackle the slightly more popular Mt. Wolf - this is all depending on energy levels and interests of the others in the group.  It looks like there will be approximately 6 or so others doing the hike with me.  I have not met any of the others but just knowing the type of people who tend to enjoy hiking, I am sure they will all be great.

Topographic Map of Wolf Cub
Though I have spent plenty of time exploring the woods off-trail - I have never done this with a particular destination in mind.  Luckily, one of the guys I am hiking with is experienced with land navigation and has offered to help me get my bearings once we are underway.  I was able to scrounge together some old "bushwhacking" gear (see below), including some old gators to help protect my legs if we are pushing through thorns/brush and some clear lensed glasses to protect my eyes from sticks etc. in the dark woods.

I am confident in my fitness level at this point so I am not too worried about that aspect of the hike - though I think it will be more challenging than I am anticipating given that we are hiking through non-maintained woods. It will sure be an adventure, one that I can't wait to write about when I finish it!

The below is some of the gear that I am bringing along on the hike.  Much of this I would typically carry anyways, but bushwhacking requires some additional items.

Gear
1. Hat to protect from branches.
2. Gators to protect my legs.
3. Gloves to use if I need to remove brush from the path.
4. Headlamp in the event that we take longer than planned.
5. Clear lenses to protect my eyes in the darker woods.
6. First-aid.
7. TP for, well, pooping.
8. Hand-sanitizer for after #7.
9. Goldbond - miracle for every sweaty male.
10. Lighter.
11. Knife to kill attacking bears.
12. Compass for navigation purposes.
13. Plenty of protein/energy bars.
14. 100 Oz's of water.
15. Rain jacket for bad weather.
16. Not pictured - other food, boots, pack,
extra clothes.

Check back in a few more days for a detailed report of this trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment